Some charitable suggestions
Hello! I’m going to be a bit more personal than usual with this post; it’s Boxing Day and in the spirit of goodwill to all, I wanted to highlight some of my favourite charities.
As you know, the Flying Colours Maths blog is absolutely free of charge, and there are no plans to change that. If you’d like to show your appreciation for any help the articles have given you, though, you could do worse than make a donation to one of the following organisations.
I’ve picked the first ten that came to mind - some I’ve volunteered with, some I’ve donated to, and some that are just close to my heart. If you can spare something for any of them, you will be doing good.
- SANE - SANE works to improve quality of life for anyone affected by mental illness.
- MindEd - MindEd is focused on intervention strategies for young people suffering from depression.
- SAMH - the Scottish Association for Mental Health aims to ensure people talk about their mental health experiences.
Other diseases that affect my family
- The Alzheimer’s Society - I lost my nan to Alzheimer’s a few years ago. Awful disease. AS tries to keep people with dementia connected to their loved ones.
- Parkinson’s UK - my stepdad suffers from Parkinson’s. PUK drive better care, treatment and quality of life for people like Ray.
- The Stroke Association - there’s a long history of strokes in my family. The Stroke Association raises awareness of the symptoms, so anyone undergoing a stroke gets medical attention more quickly, and funds research into new treatments.
- Albert Kennedy Trust - the AKT supports LGBT young adults who have been made homeless or are living in a hostile environment.
- Rape Crisis Scotland - RCS works to end sexual violence and support survivors.
- DEC - providing swift humanitarian aid in response to disasters worldwide.
- Macmillan Cancer Support - I had the privilege of sharing a car journey to big MathsJam with Laurie earlier this year; a lovely man, recently diagnosed with an awful brain cancer. Macmillan is one of the charities he did a ridiculous sponsored swim for.
I hope you’re having an excellent Christmas. Thanks for reading!
A selection of other posts
subscribe via RSS